I want to share with you a wonderful tool, the AccuQuilt GO! cutting system. I used AccuQuilt GO! for my April Island Batik Baby Quilt Challenge. I cut all the fabrics need for this quilt in about 90 minutes. I did not have to fret about getting the angles in the Magic Triangle block perfect. The GO! cutting dies cut everything with accuracy and ease. I am very excited about my GO! cutting system and I am going to get a little chatty and share with you how great this tool is. I thought it was only appropriate to use my vintage Chatty Cathy doll from my childhood. So lets GO! and start chatting about this amazing tool.
Strawberry Stars was cut using the GO! Qube 8″ Mix & Match set. The borders were cut using the GO! Strip Cutter-2 1/2″ (2″ Finished) die.
These are the GO! Dies I used to make the Magic Triangle block, the Flying Geese border, and the 2″ finished inner and outer borders for Strawberry Stars:
- GO! Half Square Triangle-4″ Finished Square
- GO! Quarter Square Triangle-4″ Finished Square
- GO! Half Square Triangle-2″ Finished Square
- GO! Parallelogram 45°-2 3/4″ x 3 1/2″ Sides (2 1/16″ x 2 13/16″ Finished)
- GO! Rectangle-2 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ (2″ x 4″) Finished
- GO! Strip Cutter-2 1/2″ (2″ Finished)
The Island Batik fabrics I choose to make Strawberry Stars:
- Valentino from the Basics Collection
- Waterfall from the Basics Collection
- Black from the Basics Collection
- White from the Neutrals Collection
- #121732335 from the Paisley Dot Collection
- Blueberry from the Basics Collection (used in the flying geese border)
The idea for Strawberry Stars was inspired by the Magic Triangle block from the GO! Qube Mix & Match Blocks and Quilts Pattern Book by Eleanor Burns-2nd Edition. I made the block to an 8″ finished size.
Angles are cut with ease. The little dogie ears are not there, which aids in precision piecing. Pieces line up perfectly, no more guessing on angled pieces on where to start sewing.
Chain piecing is fast, precise and easy.
Sixteen 8″ Magic Triangle blocks are created and pieced together in rows. This is when the special surprise happened, a secondary design emerged.
Flying geese borders were added using the Rectangle die and the Half Square Triangle die.
Strawberry Star finishes to 48″ x 48″
- Come join in Sew Sewcial with Custom Batiks Fabrics by Island Batik available in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- “La Bamba” – Hobbs Make It Modern Challenge